Thursday, August 24, 2006

Substituting Ingredients in Old Family Recipes

Several years ago, I jumped on the healthy living bandwagon, and now there's no turning back! I have found several resources on the Internet to help me substitute unhealthy ingredients in my favorite family recipes, and I want to share them with you.

There are several occasions when you may need to substitute ingredients in family recipes:

  • To make an old recipe healthier

  • If your recipe was written before 1896 when standardized measurements were put into place. (Wow, that's an old one!)

  • If you are missing items for a recipe and you have no time to run to the store
These websites have some of the best Recipe Substitution information:

As you know, some recipe substitutions can be very simple- like using olive oil instead of butter when sautéing or pan frying. However, other substitutions can be very tricky, especially when it comes to baking...




Finding the best substitutions is a trial and error process because the taste, texture, consistency, and aroma of your recipe may change. So, do not try a new modification before a big party!

Here is an awesome article by Valerie Phillips of the Deseret Morning News:
"Pinch hitting: Substituting ingredients can be tricky-- and rewarding".



When baking my favorite cakes from my Secret Ingredients cookbook,
I make few modifications.
I am a health nut, but when I cheat... I cheat!

If you need a resource for converting measurements in historic recipes, click here. Or if you need information on converting international measurements, click here.

There is a book that is a wonderful reference for recipe substitutions. You would be surprised how many times it comes in handy!





No matter how old, new, fattening, or healthy your family recipes are... don't forget to document them for future generations by creating a family cookbook! Posted by Picasa

1 Comments:

At 4:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, thanks. As a diabetic, substitutions are pretty important to me. Those sites are FANTASTIC!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home