Friday, October 20, 2006

The Perfect Fall Soup


Fall has settled into the mountains of Asheville, North Carolina, Secret Ingredients' home base. The changing leaves are beautiful, the temperature is cooling, and I am craving a warm, fall soup to celebrate the new season.

I searched my mother's recipe collection for the perfect recipe, and I found it!

With colorful veggies, fresh herbs, and warmth, this recipe celebrates the best of the season. My mother's note on this recipe reads, "This will warm your body and your heart!"

Harvest Soup

Ingredients:
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/4 cups chopped onion
1 teaspoon minced garlic
7 cups vegetable stock
3/4 cup turnips, cubed
1 cup diced sweet potato, peeled
1 cup peeled carrot
salt & pepper
1 cup celery, diced
2 cups chicken breast halves, skinned, boned, and cut up
3 tablespoons fresh tarragon



Directions:

Heat oil on low heat. Add onion and cook until soft. Remove cover; heat to medium and add garlic. Stir in broth, turnips, sweet potatoes, carrot; boil.

Reduce heat to low. Simmer until crisp tender- about 20 minutes. Season. Add celery and chicken. Simmer until chicken is opaque- about 10 minutes. Add herbs last.


Posted by Picasa

2 Comments:

At 3:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think I have ever cooked a turnip! I just realized that. Looks like a great Fall soup. :)

Ari (Baking and Books)

 
At 10:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i have been diggin' everything that's fallish and well, you got me at the title!

yay for fall and its creative soups!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home